This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission AT NO COST TO YOU. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesy and saucy with the savory flavors of beef, this 5 Ingredient Cheeseburger Casserole will be on regular meal rotation.
This creamy cheese-filled casserole is easy to make and great comfort food that your family is sure to fall in love with.
Why You’ll Love This Cheeseburger Casserole
This is sure to become one of your favorite dinner options. (I can tell you it’s one of mine!). Best of all, it comes together in less than 20 minutes!
Look at it like a dressed-up, more flavorful version of cheeseburger macaroni from the Hamburger Helper brand, but allowing you to give your family a higher quality meal without much more work.
Similar to my 5 Ingredient Beefy Tortellini Mac and Cheese Recipe, this Cheeseburger Casserole comes together in around 30 minutes from stove to table.
- Ground Beef – I prefer to use lean ground beef for this recipe. I find the lean option to be lean enough but still have a small percentage of fat that keeps the beef moist and flavorful.
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese – This is the ‘helper’ ingredient for this recipe. It has cheese and pasta, which adds convenience and flavor to the cheeseburger casserole.
- Onion -Fresh onion is the best to use here, but if you have onion powder only, that works fine as well.
- Canned tomatoes – Use your favorite brand, but be sure they’re drained before you use them.
- Cheddar – Using a sharp cheddar here will really give you a more cheesy flavor for your buck – but use what you have on hand.
- tomato (optional) – Just for fresh flavors.
How to Make Cheeseburger Casserole
To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Next, cook the pasta shells according to the instructions on the back of the box, but do not add the cheese yet.
While the pasta is cooking, heat a skillet and brown the beef and onions together. Once browned, add the tomatoes to the beef and stir to combine.
When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the beef mixture. Add the packet of cheese that came with the box of Velveeta, then mix until everything is well combined.
To the mixture, add HALF of the cheese and stir to combine.
Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
After it comes out of the oven, sprinkle fresh diced tomatoes on top for added flavor. Enjoy your delicious and cheesy pasta casserole!
Suggestions For Twisting Up This Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
If you like a bit of heat, try adding some crushed red pepper or diced jalapeños to the beef mixture. This will give the dish a nice kick and add some extra flavor.
While Velveeta is a classic choice for this recipe, you could also try using other types of cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or pepper jack. This will give the dish a different flavor and texture.
Try drizzling some ranch or even burger sauce over the top of each serving to give the casserole an even more cheeseburger flavor.
For some extra nutrition, try adding some diced bell peppers, mushrooms, or spinach to the beef mixture. This will add some extra flavor and texture to the dish, as well as some extra vitamins and minerals.
If you don’t eat meat, you can still enjoy this recipe by using a vegetarian meat substitute or omitting the meat altogether. You could also add some extra veggies, such as roasted eggplant or zucchini, to make up for the missing protein.
While shells are traditional for this recipe, you could also try using a different type of pasta, such as penne or rotini. This will give the dish a different texture and make it feel like a whole new meal.
What Sides Can I Serve This Beef and Pasta Casserole With?
This recipe is great for serving with fresh dinner rolls or homemade garlic bread. This is a great way to make the meal more filling while adding a fun side.
This casserole goes well with a side of common favorite vegetables like corn or green beans. If you have picky eaters these can be great options.
Store your leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. If you wish to freeze in single servings to make meals easier later on this casserole freezes quite well.
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 box Velveeta mac and cheese
- ½ onion, diced
- 12 ounce can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 2 cups cheddar, shredded
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, cook the pasta shells according to the instructions on the back of the box, but do not add the cheese yet.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a skillet and brown the beef and onions together. Once browned, add the tomatoes to the beef and stir to combine.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the beef mixture. Add the packet of cheese that came with the box of Velveeta, then mix until everything is well combined.
- To the mixture, add HALF of the cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- After it comes out of the oven, sprinkle fresh diced tomatoes on top for added flavor. Enjoy your delicious and cheesy pasta casserole!
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 419Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 109mgSodium 560mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 33g
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.