This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission AT NO COST TO YOU. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tender warm spices mixed with cubed apple and the nutty toasted walnuts make these 4 Ingredient Spice Cake Apple Muffins so incredibly delicious.
Plus the fact that it’s only a mere 4 ingredients to bring them together, makes these muffins probably the easiest muffins to make on earth. Probably.
Spiced Cake Apple Muffins
It’s literally 4 ingredients to make these fantastic spiced cake mix muffins, but you wouldn’t know it. They’re one of the most perfect quick, on-the-go breakfast items, or have them with a cup of coffee for a pseudo coffee cake apple muffin situation for a snack.
However you have them, they’re seriously delish.
Why we Love this Spiced Apple Muffin Recipe
- SO. EASY. TO. MAKE. – just as easy as this 2 Ingredient Lemon Bar recipe!
- They’re made with 4 easy to find ingredients.
- In less than 10 minutes they’re in the oven.
- A box of Spice Cake Mix
- Applesauce (I used unsweetened, but you can use sweetened if you want)
- One Apple
- Walnuts (Give’em a rough chop)
EAZYTIP: Remember, ingredients like salt, pepper, garlic powder, sugar, and oil don’t count towards the ingredient list because most people have these items in the pantry.
How to make these Easy Spiced Apple Muffins
It seriously couldn’t be easier.
- Preheat the oven and grab a bowl.
- Peel the apple.
- Mix everything in the bowl.
- Scoop into muffin cups and bake. Serve these with the perfect cup of coffee and you have a fantastic start to your day!
Look for the complete and detailed printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
What Kind of Apple should I use?
A firmer, baking apple is perfect for these apple spice muffins. These would be apples like Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Gala and Braeburns. If you want a tarter flavor, Granny Smith apples would be an awesome choice.
Leftovers and Substitutions
These freeze beautifully. Wrap them tight (I wrap them individually) in plastic wrap, and then put the wrapped muffins into a freezer-safe bag. They’ll stay great for up to 2 months.
To thaw the muffins, leave them on the counter at room temperature for 30 minutes or you can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds. Just remember to remove the plastic wrap before you put them in the microwave.
As for substitutions, if you don’t have any walnuts on hand, switch them up and substitute pecans or even chopped hazelnuts.
Another option is to leave the nuts out altogether, and add raisins and/or coconut instead. This will obviously add more sweetness to the muffin, so you’ll have to consider that.
If you’ve already tried this 4 Ingredient Spice Cake Apple Muffins recipe I’d love to hear below what you think of it, and please give it a star rating while you’re here! Thanks for coming by, and I’ll see you next time!
- 1 box Spiced Cake Mix
- 1 Apple, cored and diced (see notes)
- 2 1/2 cup Applesauce
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the cake mix, apple pieces, walnuts, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Portion out into a 12 cup muffin pan that's been sprayed with nonstick spray and/or lined with muffin liners. (see notes).
- Place in the oven and bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving. (If you can!)
1. I left the peel on the apple because I like the textural contrast as well as the small pops of color in the muffin. Also, leaving the peel on the apple adds a bit more nutrients to the muffin, but peeling or leaving the apple peel on is your choice.
2. I prefer to use silicone muffin liners because it's so much easier to remove the muffins from the pan. I'm giving these muffins away, so I wanted to just use paper liners.
Serving Size1 muffin
Amount Per Serving Calories 222Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 319mgCarbohydrates 47gFiber 2gSugar 28gProtein 2g
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.