This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission AT NO COST TO YOU. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This savory 3 Ingredient Shredded Chicken and Gravy dinner is tender, juicy, and the perfect addition to your weeknight menu.
Set it up and then forget it while the crockpot does all the heavy lifting. All you have to do is make your side and serve up one of the most delicious comfort food dishes out there.
Why You’ll Love Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken and Gravy Recipe
Tender juicy chicken and savory gravy make a wonderful main dish that can be served with other frugal side dishes like mashed potatoes or rice to help lower your grocery costs.
Also, because you can start this when you start your day and let it run, this slow cooker chicken and gravy makes for a great meal that helps keep you out of the drive-through line, saving money and feeding your family on a budget.
- Chicken breasts – Boneless and skinless are the easiest option here. To save some money, try buying bone-in breasts. Remove the skin and then after cooking, remove the chicken off the bone and shred it before serving.
- Gravy packets – I used McCormick brand (not sponsored) and I also like Knorr brand products, but if you have another you prefer, use those. Just be sure that you only need to add water to make the gravy.
- Can of Cream of Chicken Soup – Again, your favorite brand is the right one to use here.
- Water – Another option is to use chicken or turkey stock if you have it on hand. I recommend using low-sodium broth if possible. This is optional of course.
EAZYTIP: Ingredients like common seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and oil don’t count towards the ingredient list because most people have these basic items in the pantry.
How To Make Easy Chicken and Gravy
Start by seasoning your chicken breasts and placing them into your slow cooker.
In a bowl, mix water, gravy packets, and your cream of chicken soup and stir together.
Pour on top of the chicken. Cook in your slow cooker on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
Shred your chicken in the gravy with a couple of forks or pull it out of your slow cooker to shred it more easily and place it back into the gravy to soak up all that savory goodness.
If you’re interested in making this chicken and gravy dinner without using a gravy packet, the recipe over at Feeding Your Fam has more ingredients and is a bit more involved, but there’s no packets if you prefer not to use that convenience.
Ideas for Putting a Twist on this Easy Chicken Recipe
You can easily change up the flavors of this crockpot chicken recipe.
- Simply changing your choice of seasonings, and gravy packet flavors, and even by swapping the cream of chicken for a can of cream of mushroom can give totally different and interesting flavor profiles.
- Try adding a can or two (or fresh) of button mushrooms to highlight the mushroom soup if you swapped out the chicken soup.
- Add even more flavors to the mix by dicing a small onion or use poultry seasoning when seasoning your chicken.
- You can turn this into a savory stew by adding diced potatoes, peas, and carrots to cook alongside the chicken if you want an all-in-one pot-type meal to save time at the end of the day.
- You can use leftover turkey in place of the chicken in this recipe. The chicken gravy packet will help to give it a more chicken flavor making this perfect for families that are tired of turkey leftovers.
What Can I Serve this With?
This dish is great for serving over frugal sides like mashed potatoes or rice. This helps to make it go further by making it more filling and allowing you to use less meat to feed your family yet still keep them with full tummies.
I served this with mashed potatoes and green beans for a wonderful and simple meal that can be whipped up easily in your slow cooker even on a busy schedule.
Another idea is to serve this over thick pieces of buttered toast to make an open-faced or a hot chicken sandwich of sorts.
Did you stock up on boxed stuffing mixes during the holiday sales? You can use that stuffing to serve with chicken and gravy for a 4 Ingredient Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing recipe.
This will store easily in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can freeze it for up to a month making it perfect for making meal-prepared microwave dinners from your leftovers to make it easier to feed your family and pack lunches on a budget.
Have you tried this recipe before? Please leave a star rating and/or a comment below letting me know how if you made any delicious twists on the recipe! Have a wonderful day!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 chicken gravy packets
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (you're favorite brand is the one to use. I like Cambells or even Great Value brand.)
- 1 cup water
- as desired, garlic powder and pepper
- Season the chicken breasts and lay them in the slow cooker bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the water, gravy packet and soup. Mix well to incorporate until smooth.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on slow for 6-7 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Just before serving, using two forks, shred the chicken breasts and then let the shreds sit in the gravy for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Adding low-sodium chicken broth instead of water is an option for even more flavor. Using low sodium is a good idea because the gravy mix and soup has sodium already included.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 134Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 54mgSodium 278mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 20g
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.