3 Ingredient 15 Bean Soup with Sausage
This 3 Ingredient 15 Bean Soup with Sausage is insanely easy to make. The secret is in the ingredients. You need to start with flavor-packed products from the grocery store which gets you a crazy delicious and filling soup you can make any time.
Add a side of crusty buttered bread or even better, a slice of warm cornbread, and you’ll have tummies filled and satisfied.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission AT NO COST TO YOU. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why We Love This 3 Ingredient Soup
- Well, because it’s only 3 main ingredients. The beans come from a bean soup package so they’re counted as one ingredient.
- It’s made in a crockpot, so it’s basically throwing it all together, set it, and forget it until dinner.
- Low cost and easy is the game with this one. Minimal ingredients, under 10 bucks, and it feeds an army!
- Dry Bean Soup Mix: I used Hurst’s brand Hambeens 15 Bean Soup Mix. It’s inexpensive and comes with a seasoning packet. If you can’t find Hambeens, there are other brands that have a variety of beans all in one bag, so use what you can find available. All the beans they collect in the package will make a fantastic soup, so don’t worry if the mix will taste great or not.
- Italian Sausage: Use your favorite brand. I used a spicy Italian sausage for even more flavor, but if you’re worried about the heat, use a regular or “sweet” Italian sausage.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes: Choose a brand that has added seasonings to it. The one I chose had added garlic, oregano, and basil. If you can’t find anything like that, try choosing ‘fire-roasted diced tomatoes. The fire roasting char on the tomatoes will add extra flavor when combined with this 15 bean soup recipe with sausage.
Eazy Tip: Remember, salt, pepper, garlic, oil and water don’t factor into the ingredient count because most people have those pantry items in their kitchen.
Directions for Making this Hearty Slow Cooker Soup
Honestly, this is so super easy, check it out.
- Brown the sausage. (This step is optional but recommend you do it. It adds nice color to the meat so it doesn’t look anemic in the soup, plus the caramelization (called the Maillard reaction) also adds extra flavor to the soup that comes for free!
- When finished browning, add the sausage to the crockpot, along with the bean, (leave out the soup mix packet if there is any), and the can of tomatoes. (Don’t drain the tomatoes! Add that extra flavor into your delicious soup.)
- Add the water, give it a good mix, put the lid on it, set it, and go about your day till it’s ready to serve!
Full instructions are listed in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to Level Up This Crockpot Bean Soup Even More
- Try swapping out the water for chicken or vegetable broth if you have it on hand.
- Add a cup of rice or small pasta shapes (macaroni, ditalini, etc) in the last 30 minutes before serving to stretch the volume of the soup even more. You may want to add another cup of water or broth.
- Adding a few cups of frozen diced vegetables (carrots, corn, and peas) will give more nutrition to the soup, more flavor, and more volume to feed more people.
- Serve with some rolls, bread or some easy to make cornbread if you don’t have a box of Jiffy on hand.
Fridge: Place the soup in a container with a lid or place plastic wrap over the top. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Transfer leftovers into a freezer-friendly container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw, put it in the fridge overnight, or thaw it in the microwave in a glass container.
Thanks for checking out the recipes here at EazyGrub! If you’ve tried this recipe already, please leave a comment and a star rating below! Have an awesome day!
3 Ingredient 15 Bean Soup with Sausage
A delicious and super hearty soup to make. 15 bean soup with sausage will easily become a staple meal in the house simply because it's easy, nutritious and delicious!
- MAIN INGREDIENTS:
- 1 package of 15 Bean Soup, dry mix (20 ounces)
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes with spices, 14.5 ounces, undrained
- 1 pound Italian sausage, either hot or sweet (regular)
- PANTRY INGREDIENTS:
- 10 cups water
- Salt and pepper as desired.
- *Optional Step, but recommended*. Place the sausage into a skillet and brown it completely before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Rinse the beans under cool water. Add them along with the browned sausage and can of tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- If there is a seasoning packet in the package of beans, put that aside and use it for another dish. The seasoning that comes from the sausage and the tomatoes is enough to flavor this delicious soup.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6. You know the soup is ready when the beans are tender, but not mushy.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving. Enjoy!
Salt and pepper, garlic, oil and water are not counted as ingredients as most people have these items in their kitchen already.
Frying the sausage first allows a sear (or caramelization) on the sausage that adds flavor. Also, it helps adds color to the meat so it doesn't look a funny grey color.
Check out the post for tips and tricks on making this soup even more delicious, as well as storing leftovers. (IF there are any!)
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 207Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 16mgSodium 1377mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 8gSugar 4gProtein 11g
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands used, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.